The Federal Election will be held on Saturday 7th September 2013

Voting in Government elections is compulsory for all electors included in the residenial roll. You must register to be included on the residential roll once you turn 18 years.

Elections in NSW are conducted by:

  • The Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) is responsible for conducting federal elections and referendums and maintaining the Commonwealth electoral roll.
  • The NSW Electoral Commission (SEO) conduct elections and by-elections for the State of NSW, local government and the NSW Aboriginal Land Council.

Levels of Government


The decision-making body in NSW is the Parliament of NSW. It is made up of the Legislative Assembly (Lower House) and the Legislative Council (Upper House)

The Parliament of NSW makes laws on matters that typically affect the day-to-day lives of NSW residents such as:

  • law and order
  • schools and hospitals
  • roads and railways
  • housing
  • community services
Local (Council)

The decision-making body at local government level is called 'the council'. Each council is established under state legislation to look after the particular needs of a city or local community.  The representatives on councils are called councillors and the head of the council is the mayor.

Local government areas vary greatly in size and character and can consist of a group of suburbs, a town or a rural area. They are often divided into several wards, with electors in each ward electing a number of councillors.

Each council has a charter that sets out principles to guide the way it provides appropriate community services and facilities. These include:

  • local roads, footpaths and gutters
  • libraries and public halls
  • sporting facilities such as swimming pools, tennis courts and golf courses
  • public land such as parks and other recreation areas
  • household garbage and recycling collections

The decision-making body at federal government level is the Parliament of Australia made up of the House of Representatives (Lower House) and the Senate (Upper House).

The Australian Constitution lists those areas for which the Parliament of Australia has responsibility including:

  • defence
  • taxation
  • foreign relations
  • immigration
  • communications

Electoral Rolls

Non-residential Rolls

If you are an owner, rate-paying lessee or occupier of rateable land which is not your primary residence, you or a nominee may be entitled to be enrolled on the roll of non-residential owners of rateable land or the roll of occupiers and rate-paying lessees for Local Government (Council) elections.

Residential Roll

To check your enrolment details, to download a residential enrolment form or register to vote on line -  visit www.elections.nsw.gov.au  or call 1300 135 736.

Residential enrolment forms are also available from any Australia Post office.