European History

The first white settlers who arrived in the district around 1839-40, named the settlement "Walcha Hut" but this was later changed to "Fishery" and, finally, to "Brewarrina". In 1859 a riverboat called Gemini, skippered by William Randell, reached the town and by the early 1860s Brewarrina was recognised as the furthest navigable point on the Darling River. The town was formally surveyed and laid out in 1861 and proclaimed on 28 April 1863.

The 1870s were something of a boom time for Brewarrina. The Mechanics Institute was formed in 1873. The following year two hotels, two stores and the Commercial Bank all opened and in 1875, a public school was established. All this development was largely due to the development of Merino Wool production in the Brewarrina area which is still the main industry in the Brewarrina Shire today.

Contact Details

Brewarrina Visitor Information & Cultural Centre
Phone: 02 6830 5152
Fax: 02 6839 2642
tourism@brewarrina.nsw.gov.au