Historical Brewarrina Barwon Bridge

The Brewarrina Barwon Bridge is one of only 2 remaining lift span bridges in NSW that allowed traffic to cross over the Barwon River. It lifted in the centre and allowed paddle steamers to continue up and down the river.

The Bridge was a technically sophisticated structure when built in 1889 and required two men to wind a pulley mechanism to lift the spans – this was latter modified in 1913 so that only one person was required to operate it.

The bridge is recognised as being of NSW State significance as it contributed significantly to the social and commercial development of north western New South Wales and opened up the ‘back country’ in the late 1800’s

Contact Details

Brewarrina Visitor Information & Exhibition Centre
Phone: 02 6830 5152
Fax: 02 6839 2642
vic@brewarrina.nsw.gov.au