Safe Collection and Disposal of Improperly Discarded Sharps
This policy aims to maintain high standards of workplace safety, public health and safety, and environmental management through effective management of the disposal of community sharps. This is achieved by:
- Providing guidelines for the procedure of safe collection and disposal of improperly discarded sharps for Council employees.
- Providing guidelines for advice to the general public on the safe collection and disposal of improperly discarded sharps.
- Encouraging broad community participation in the safe disposal of community sharps by providing and promoting accessible community sharps disposal options.
- Reducing the potential for needle stick injuries to occur by providing information, training, personal protective equipment and responsive management.
- Providing mechanisms for the effective management of sharps in the community to maximise appropriate community sharps disposal.